Home / Marinkos Wine  / Discovering The Best Champagne Houses In France

Discovering The Best Champagne Houses In France

France is undoubtedly known as the land of wine, blessed with one of the world\'s finest wine-producing regions. The Champagne region in France is renowned for producing the most elegant and desirable sparkling wines globally,

France is undoubtedly known as the land of wine, blessed with one of the world\’s finest wine-producing regions. The Champagne region in France is renowned for producing the most elegant and desirable sparkling wines globally, better known as champagne.
However, with so many Champagne houses to choose from, how do wine enthusiasts know which ones to visit to experience the finest champagne?
As Wine aficionados will undoubtedly agree, the key to discovering the best-known Champagne houses is not only tasting and comparing the wines but also gaining an understanding of the history, philosophy and approach that goes into making Champagne.
One such Champagne house is the Taittinger, owned by the Taittinger family since 1932. It is one of the last great Champagne houses still owned and run by the family. It is easy to identify their label by its delicate signature- The Taittinger Cross. Known for its fine and delicate champagne from the famous vineyards of Cotes des Blancs, secreted away in underground cellars of Saint-Nicaise Abbey, Taittinger champagne is the personification of luxury.
Another outstanding Champagne house that wine enthusiasts should visit is the Laurent-Perrier Champagne house. Founded in 1812, by the eponymous man himself, this Champagne house has seen some significant innovations in Champagne-making since its establishment.
Their rose champagne is not only one of the finest but also one of their standout offerings. Notably, the Champagne house was an early-mover in the production of Rosé champagne, a highly popular type of sparkling wine that is still preferred by champagne lovers worldwide.
Furthermore, their wine-making philosophy is to avoid introducing elements that alter the natural taste of champagne. They ensure that the production adheres to traditional techniques with high-quality ingredients, including Grand Crus sourced from the best vineyards.
Billecart-Salmon is another family-owned Champagne house founded in 1818, situated in Mareuil-Sur-Ay, in the heart of Champagne. The house prides itself on its boutique-style approach to winemaking. Though the company produces a limited volume of wine, the quality and elegance of its champagnes are noteworthy. Experts believe that its house style is a harmonious balance between fruit, elegance, and freshness.
An astonishing 95% of the grapes used to make the Billecart-Salmon champagnes are grown in its vineyards, with the remaining 5% being sourced from trusted local growers. An indication of the care and attention given to every detail to create the perfect champagne.
From the good old Champagne houses to the new kids on the block, one that stands out is the Ruinart Champagne house, founded in 1729, by the monk Dom Ruinart. This champagne house is often recommended for its lively and fresh effervescent taste. The distinctive chalky soils on Ruinart\’s vineyards in Avize, which comes from the ancient seabed, give the champagne its stunning lightness and minerality, making it the perfect summer wine.
The Ruinart team maintains a tight control over the production process, from grape growing to wine-making, bottling and ageing. They also produce a high-quality blanc de blanc champagne that is undoubtedly worth sampling.
Lastly, fans of biodynamic winemaking should wholly savor the offerings of Champagne Fleury. Founded in 1895 in Courteron, this is the oldest Aube-based Biodynamic Champagne House. It has played a pioneering role in following the biodynamic approach to wine-making to produce the finest champagne.
Their brand ambassador, Jean-Sébastien Fleury, strives to maintain a modest and friendly approach while running the family house. Production takes place exclusively in-house, with the staff intimately involved in every step of production.
In conclusion, the quest for the best Champagne houses in France may take some time and research, but with a reliable guide, Wine Enthusiasts can discover excellent alternatives to the big names. From the modern and innovative to traditional and classic approaches to winemaking, Champagne is a drink that will always evoke a sense of sophistication and elegance. Santé!
Review overview