Best Wineries In Finger Lakes, Ny
Best Wineries in Finger Lakes, NY The Finger Lakes region in upstate New York is renowned for its beautiful lakes, breathtaking scenery, and world-class wineries. In fact, it is often referred to as the Napa Valley
Best Wineries in Finger Lakes, NY
The Finger Lakes region in upstate New York is renowned for its beautiful lakes, breathtaking scenery, and world-class wineries. In fact, it is often referred to as the Napa Valley of the east, and for good reason. The region boasts over 100 wineries, each with its unique charm and character. In this article, we will be exploring the best wineries in Finger Lakes, NY.
The Finger Lakes region is made up of 11 narrow lakes that run north to south. The climate in this region is ideal for growing grapes, with long, warm summers and cool nights that allow the grapes to ripen slowly. This slow ripening process gives the grapes the necessary time to fully develop their flavors, resulting in some of the best wines in the world.
The following are the top 5 wineries in Finger Lakes, NY. These were chosen based on various factors, including the quality of their wines, their reputation in the industry, and their overall experience:
- Hermann J. Wiemer Vineyard
- Dr. Konstantin Frank Winery
- Ravines Wine Cellars
- Bloomer Creek Vineyard
- Heron Hill Winery
Perspectives from Experts
\”The Finger Lakes region is a very unique and special place for winemaking,\” says Mark Squires, a wine critic for Robert Parker Wine Advocate. \”The winemakers there have a true passion for their craft, and it shows in the quality of their wines.\”
Paul Hobbs, a well-known wine consultant, agrees. \”The wines from Finger Lakes are truly exceptional,\” he says. \”The region has a great terroir, and the winemakers there are creating some really interesting and complex wines.\”
Hermann J. Wiemer Vineyard
Hermann J. Wiemer Vineyard was founded in 1979 by Hermann Wiemer, a German winemaker who had a passion for Riesling. Today, the winery is run by Fred Merwarth, who has continued the tradition of producing world-class Rieslings.
One of the standout wines from this winery is their \”Dry Reserve\” Riesling, which has crisp acidity, bright flavors of lemon and lime, and a long finish. This wine has been consistently rated among the top Rieslings in the world.
Dr. Konstantin Frank Winery
Dr. Konstantin Frank Winery is named after its founder, Dr. Konstantin Frank, who was a pioneer in the Finger Lakes wine industry. He experimented with various grape varieties until he found the perfect combination for the region\’s terroir.
One of their most popular wines is the \”Semi-Dry Riesling,\” which has a delicate balance of sweetness and acidity, with flavors of ripe peach and apricot. This wine pairs perfectly with spicy dishes.
Ravines Wine Cellars
Ravines Wine Cellars was founded in 2000 by husband and wife team Morten and Lisa Hallgren. The winery specializes in producing classic European-style wines that reflect the Finger Lakes\’ terroir.
One of their standout wines is the \”Chardonnay,\” which is aged in French oak barrels for 10 months, resulting in a rich and complex wine. It has aromas of vanilla and crème brûlée, with flavors of ripe pear and apple.
Bloomer Creek Vineyard
Bloomer Creek Vineyard is a small family-owned winery that produces organic and biodynamic wines. The winery was founded in 1999 by husband and wife team Kim Engle and Debra Bermingham.
One of their most popular wines is the \”Tanzen Dame,\” which is a blend of Riesling, Chardonnay, and Gewürztraminer. This wine has bright acidity, with flavors of honey and tropical fruit.
Heron Hill Winery
Heron Hill Winery was founded in 1977 by John and Josephine Ingle. The winery is located on a hill overlooking Keuka Lake, which provides a stunning backdrop for tastings.
One of their standout wines is the \”Eclipse Red,\” which is a blend of Cabernet Franc, Merlot, and Lemberger. This wine is full-bodied, with flavors of black cherry and black pepper.
Wine Tasting Tips
When visiting the Finger Lakes wineries, there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure the best tasting experience:
– Pace yourself. You don\’t want to burn out too quickly and miss out on some incredible wines.
– Take notes. Jot down your favorite wines and what you liked about them.
– Ask questions. The winemakers love to share their knowledge and expertise.
– Have a designated driver. Drinking and driving is never a good idea.
Tip: Some wineries offer spit buckets for those who want to taste but not consume too much wine.
Wineries with Scenic Views
The Finger Lakes region is known for its breathtaking scenery, and some wineries offer views that are truly spectacular:
– Wagner Vineyards: This winery offers stunning views of Seneca Lake and the surrounding hills.
– Anthony Road Wine Company: This winery is located on a hill overlooking Seneca Lake, with views that are simply breathtaking.
– Hunt Country Vineyards: This winery is located on a hill, with panoramic views of Keuka Lake and the surrounding vineyards.
Wineries with live music
Nothing pairs better with wine than live music. Many Finger Lakes wineries offer live music on weekends:
– Three Brothers Wineries & Estates: This winery has a stage set up in their courtyard, featuring live music from local bands.
– Ventosa Vineyards: This winery offers live music on their patio on weekends during the summer.
– Hazlitt 1852 Vineyards: This winery hosts \”Red Cat Live\” events every Saturday during the summer, featuring live music and food trucks.
Wine and Food Pairings
The Finger Lakes region is known for its excellent food, and there are many wineries that offer food pairings to complement their wines:
– Glenora Wine Cellars: This winery offers a variety of food pairings, including cheese and chocolate tastings.
– Belhurst Estate Winery: This winery offers a \”Small Plates\” menu, featuring locally sourced cheese and charcuterie.
– Heron Hill Winery: This winery offers a \”Food & Wine Experience,\” which includes a tasting of their wines paired with cheeses and cured meats.