EWT Insider: A Wine Lover’s Guide to Budapest
Reading Time: [est_time] "EWT Insider" is meant to be a practical guide for gastronomy travelers. We’ll continue to update this page with every new visit to Budapest, so consider it a work in progress. This guide,
Reading Time: 2 minutes
“EWT Insider” is meant to be a practical guide for gastronomy travelers. We’ll continue to update this page with every new visit to Budapest, so consider it a work in progress. This guide, compiled over six weeks in and around Budapest, is packed with information about where and what to eat and drink.
Budapest as seen from the Gellért Hill. From the left to the right: you can see the Buda Castle, the Széchenyi Chain Bridge, and the Hungarian Parliament Building. (Photo: Christian Mehlführer, CC BY 3.0)
Where to Drink
- Cintányéros (The wine selection is small so this isn’t the place to visit if you’re looking for a full-fledged, educational wine experience. But what you’ll find here is a good ambience to enjoy wine, sumptuous cheese & meat platters, and friendly service staff.)
- Cultivini (Also offers simple cheese and cold cut selections.)
- Tasting Table (Also offers artisanal cheese and meat selections that you shouldn’t miss.)
BUY & GO
- Bortársaság (Has many outlets in Hungary; check https://www.bortarsasag.hu/hu/boltok/ for details.)
- In Vino Veritas (Has an adjacent wine bar.)
DINING PLACES WITH GOOD WINE LIST
- Bock Bisztró (Owned by Bock Winery in the Villány wine region, Bock Bisztró’s wine list is compact and offers a good introduction to Hungarian wines, but the food here is what keeps us coming back.)
- Konyvbar (There are many small-production and off-menu wines here. If you’re a vinous treasure hunter, this is the place to visit. The food menu changes every few weeks.)
Where to Eat
ASIAN FOOD: Hanoi Xua Vietnamese Restaurant, Indigo Indian Restaurant
BUDGET MEAL: Bors Gastro Bar (soup), Dagoba Bisztró (lunch), Hummus Bar (middle eastern), Karavan Torok Bufe (Turkish food)
CHOCOLATE: Chocolate Rózsavölgyi, Endorfine Csokoládéüzlet, Stuhmer Edessegbolt
CAFÉ: Butter Brothers (There are many interesting cafés in Budapest, but I love Butter Brothers for its pastries.), Central Cafe (An Art Nouveau cafe best suited for a long coffee-and-cake break.), The Bake Shop (Small café offering good-quality coffee and fantastic cakes, including paleo-friendly ones.)
CRAFT BEER: Beerselection.hu
‘EXPERIENTIAL’ GROCERY SHOPPING: Central Market Hall / Great Market Hall, Szimpla Sunday Farmers’ Market
HUNGARIAN FOOD: Belvárosi Disznótoros, Getto Guylas
TRADITIONAL BAKERY: Fröhlich Kóser Cukrászda, Sütipatika
Where to Find
ASIAN COOKING INGREDIENTS: Szep Kis India International
PALEO INGREDIENTS & NATURAL SKINCARE: Bio-Barát Biobolt, Dieta Life Market
Timestamps: Summer 2018 in Hungary
[0:09] Szimpla Sunday Market – Budapest, Kazinczy u. 14, 1075 Hungary
[0:24] Fröhlich Kóser Cukrászda – Budapest, Dob u. 22, 1072 Hungary
[0:30] KönyvBár & Restaurant – Budapest, 1074, Dob u. 45, 1074 Hungary
[0:40 and 1:54] Tasting Table Budapest – Budapest, Hungary, Bródy Sándor utca 9, 1088 Hungary
[0:48] Cintányéros Wine Bar – Budapest, Bókay János u. 52, 1083 Hungary
[1:05] Central Market Hall / Great Market Hall – Budapest, Vámház krt. 1-3, 1093 Hungary
[1:36] Belvárosi Disznótoros – Budapest, Király u. 1d, 1075 Hungary / Budapest, Károlyi utca 17, 1053 Hungary
[1:47] Central Cafe – Budapest, Károlyi utca 9, 1053 Hungary
[2:00 onward] About Tokaj wine region
[1:32] KönyvBár & Restaurant – Budapest, 1074, Dob u. 45, 1074 Hungary
[3:00] Tasting Table Budapest – Budapest, Hungary, Bródy Sándor utca 9, 1088 Hungary
[0:29] Cultivini – Budapest, Párizsi u. 4, 1052 Hungary
[1:07] Bors GasztroBar – Budapest, Kazinczy u. 10, 1075 Hungary
WINE REGIONS AROUND BUDAPEST: Etyek-Buda (about 30 minutes by car), Ászár-Neszmély (about 60 minutes by car), Balaton Lake (about 90 minutes by car), Eger (about 100 minutes by car), Szekszárd (about 120 minutes by car), Villány (about 140 minutes by car), Tokaj (about 160 minutes by car)
Other Useful Resources
- Exotic Wine Travel’s Hungarian Wine Archive – More articles, videos and recommendations.
- Hungarian Wines – A guide to Hungarian wines, grapes varieties, wineries, wine styles, wine results, history, gastronomy, wine events, and wine bars.
- Taste Hungary – Food, wine, and culture tours in Budapest and Hungary.
- WineSofa – Wine adventures in Central and Eastern Europe.
- Wine a’More – Wine tours in Hungary.